Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Kitchen Gift for Thanksgiving

photos by Ellen McHale

I ran this post last November and thought it would be worth running again a week before Thanksgiving.
This chutney is absolutely delicious and makes a great little take home treat for your guests ...

With the holidays rapidly approaching, the pressure is on to find meaningful and creative gifts.  A gift from the kitchen is always appreciated and more so when you take the time to package your "kitchen creation" with flair. This Thanksgiving each of my guests will go home with my Cranberry-Orange Chutney in beautiful canning jars by The Concord Shop.  For those of you who don't know, The Concord Shop is a cook's dream.  They call themselves "a hardware store for the kitchen" and that couldn't be more true.  Anything you need for the kitchen can be found on their shelves.

photos by Ellen McHale
Presentation is everything and finding some vintage sauce spoons to tie on to my chutney jars is like the icing on the cake.  I found these gorgeous vintage sauce spoons at Thoreauly Antiques in Concord.  You can find similar spoons at your local antique store and they can be had for under $10!

Cranberry Orange Chutney Ingredients

Ingredients:
1 bag fresh cranberries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 lg. granny smith apple, cored, seeded, chopped
zest of one orange and the juice of the orange
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly slivered
1 cup apple juice
1 cup sugar
4 whole cloves

To Make:
Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occassionally 5 minutes or until cranberries begin to pop and all sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Store and refrigerate in air tight container.  Can be made 2 weeks ahead.

Tags by Nelley Kelley
Display your kitchen gifts in a beautiful basket by the door so your guests will not forget to take one home before they leave.
Tea towel by Nelley Kelley
As a packaging alternative, wrap your kitchen gift in a beautiful linen tea towel.  I promise, you will make someone very happy.  

Enjoy - see you soon,
Ellen


13 comments:

  1. Love it! Another great idea.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can positively say it is delicious!
    wp

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, chutney. Dr B's fave (you may know him by another nickname of course).Maybe a fun accompaniment to a Delia dish I have never got around to making

    http://www.deliaonline.com/Community/forum.html?forum_action=5&forum_forumid=3&forum_threadid=2504

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious and your packaging is beautiful. I am feeling inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your great comments. Sometimes I feel that great packaging is everything! I don't know does that make me a style over substance kind of gal? I have to say in this case the chutney is amazing so it is equal to the packaging.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautifully photographed, perfectly packaged gift!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe and love the owl tag, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace and I have a thing for great tags. When we couldn't find ones that made us happy - we decided to begin to make our own. I love to find the perfect tag to finish off a gift. Maybe I'm the only one who notices - hopefully not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of a sudden I'm thinking of the holidays. It's nice to start out with some great ideas. Thanks. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Ellen! Will you have some chutney similarly packaged for sale at the craft show next month? I hope so! Just lovely! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for mentioning our shop Thoreauly Antiques. We have lots of wonderful things to inspire creativity.
    Your Chutney recipe sounds great. I'm going to try it for the holidays

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always make the simple things so beautiful, and seem so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellen, Beautiful! And I really love the book plates. I intended to use them as gifts but have decided to keep them all for myself!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for such wonderful comments. I hope you found a little bit of inspiration in this week's posting. Keep an eye out for more ideas for holiday gift giving on my future posts.

    Hope to see many of you at the Holiday Show on December 1st. I will have some great Nelley Kelley gifts on display including those sweet bookplates - they make a great little stocking stuffer!

    ReplyDelete