Friday, March 25, 2011

Flower Power

"Flower Power" by Ellen McHale

Spring finally arrived this week but somehow forgot to pack it's warmth and sunshine for the trip. One can't despair because there are signs of Spring all around - we just have to look carefully and don't forget to bundle up because "Baby, it's cold outside"!

Ranunculus

I took advantage of the sunshine today to create the illusion of a garden in my backyard.  All of it shows that I have a hopeful spirit.  A trip to the farmers market the other day yielded me some inexpensive treasures to place in and around our home to begin to flex my garden muscles.  

all photos by Ellen McHale

Ranunculus are my favorite flower.  I love the haphazard way they spill out of their vase with each blossom going in their own direction.  Whether you have one or many the result is a casual display that screams carefree and wild and yet romantic too. 

Rosemary

Sage

thyme

Now is a perfect time to buy some herbs at the market and plop them into interesting containers that you have on hand at home.  A little twine tied around the container provides a little more texture and visual interest and while you are at it, a little handmade sign that tells you what herb you've potted completes the picture.  Place them on your sunny window-sill and you've got fresh herbs to cook with. Come May - plant your established herbs in your garden and you are good to go!

Bird House

Last week my husband and I took a quick trip to the Boston Flower Show that was held at the World Trade Center in South Boston.  It is a much smaller show than the ones you may remember when it was held at the Expo Center but it still singnals Springtime in New England to me.  One of the more striking garden features was this gorgeous blue oversized bird house.  The size is extreme but it definitely makes a statement.  Perhaps scaling it down a bit for the average sized space would bring a beautiful focal point to your landscape.

terrarium and topiary

A trend that you are seeing more and more is the return of the terrarium.  I think it speaks to the DIY in all of us.  A little bit of green in an antique or vintage vessel or large apothecary jar hits the mark just right in interior design right now.  It looks great on a table-scape and is pretty easy to build yourself.  Maybe we will do a DIY on terrariums in the coming weeks as a way to patiently wait out the sunshine.

Garden Party chair

Moss covered garden chair

Another trend that I noticed was the chair as garden.  You've all seen the one-off chairs being used as decor in the house ( ie: antique chair as bed-side table or in bathrooms to place stacks of towels) but this took it a step further.  Using a cast off iron chair as a base for a moss garden placed somewhere in your landscape or the back of an outdoor chair tied with a basket of flowers for each guest to take home at the end of a garden party.  It makes you long for the outdoors - or at least an invite to that garden party!

Stone Urns

We loved the stone urns that were planted up with trees and enormous hydrangeas.  I've got a thing for big, old, bold urns.  Just ask my husband who wondered why we had to drag a massive urn across the Atlantic from our home in London to our new home in New England! It made it here intact and has housed trees, plants and all manner of holiday greenery.  Can't you see a wonderful old crusty urn in your garden or on your deck?  It just adds a little extra something.

window boxes

The window box display on the shed at the garden show was great as well.  It's got my wheels turning on what to plant up in our window boxes this season.  It's coming, I know it is because look what I found in my backyard today ...

First sign of Spring

Jonquils!  Despite the snow this week, Jonquils are making their appearance.  The March birth flower that signals happiness is making it's way to your door.  

Think Spring!

My Mom one Spring at the Public Garden

I'll leave you with one of my favorite photos of my Mom over at The Public Garden (one of her favorite places) in Spring.  

Enjoy the Sunshine,
See you next week,
Ellen















2 comments:

  1. El,
    We certainly appreciate your encouraging words about spring! Thanks for the great ideas from the show. I missed it this year. Can't wait to get started.
    Love,
    Mo and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen -

    You got me thinking about this week's posting when we were talking about your gardening plans this season. So thank you for the inspiration!
    Xo
    El

    ReplyDelete