Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Birds of a Feather ...

Egret by Ellen McHale

Birds - I love them and I don't love them. I love to hear their song and watch them frolic in our fountain in the garden.  The bird feeder is always full thanks to my husband.  I think the cardinals actually talk to him and tell him when the food needs to be replenished.  As a show of thanks, they hang around the garden and build their nests and treat us to a colorful show of reds, yellows, blues and greens.  They bring the delight into our garden.

I'm also afraid of birds.   It began when I first watched Alfred Hitchcock's, The Birds - that did me in.  I think I was 4 or 5 years old and my brothers were watching The Birds on our little black and white televison set.  I wanted to be with my brothers so I decided to be brave and watch  - just so I could hang out with them.  Unfortunately for me, they moved on to better things and left me sitting on the couch alone.  My mother found me.  Since then, I'm afraid of birds.  

I am also inspired by their beauty and have tried my best to capture their serenity in my artwork.  I thought I would show you a few of my favorite pieces ...

A Mother Goose by Ellen McHale

Cardinal in Winter by Ellen McHale

Xenops by Ellen McHale

Bill's Cardinals by Ellen McHale

Rooster by Ellen McHale

Peace Dove by Ellen McHale

Partridge in a Pear Tree by Ellen McHale

Owl by Ellen McHale

" A wise old owl sat on an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke, the more he heard;
Why aren't we like that wise old bird?"

             ~ Edward Hersey Richards


Have a great week and see you soon,
Ellen









4 comments:

  1. Hi El!
    Lovely! Since witnessing that chubby robin bathing in your birdbath, I keep thinking I'll get one for my yard one of these days!
    Thanks!
    Love,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maureen! A bird bath would look lovely in your yard. What a great dinner the other night. It was a wonderful evening.
    xo
    El

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen,
    I love your birds!
    They are magical and make me happy!
    You are the BEST!
    Cheers,
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Martha - I really appreciate it and you of course!
    xo
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete