Friday, October 7, 2011

Terrarium DIY

a simple terrarium

Terrariums are glass or transparent enclosures where plants or nature's beauty reside. They run the gamut from a simple topiary under glass to an entire miniature world existing in an elaborate container.  The trend over the last few years has been a return to an appreciation for hand-crafted goods and repurposing items for home decor. The creation of a terrarium is particularly rewarding as we usher in the colder weather and put to bed our warm weather gardens.  

Anything can be captured in a terrarium.  Fond memories of a beach vacation can reside in a jar in the way of sand, sea glass and driftwood.  Small clippings from a loved-one's garden can be nurtured in a protective enclosure while providing a little piece of beauty in a room. Your creativity can really let loose by planning out an elaborate miniature garden complete with pint-sized statuary among tiny hills. 

Terrariums are relatively easy to make and even easier to care for.  There are many choices of containers - that is up to you and what look you are striving for.  Apothecary jars, deep glass bowls, aquariums, a cloche or bell jar or the Wardian case - the original terrarium container. The containers can be closed or open, that is completely up to you.  An open case may need more care because there will be more evaporation of moisture compared to a closed case that captures the moisture and requires less watering. 

Let me show you how easy it is to create a little nature under glass to get you through this winter ...

gather your ingredients

Pull together your ingredients just like when you are trying out a new recipe.  I've got my container - A Wardian Case that I found on One Kings Lane and my plant material that I found over at Gerard's on Rt. 2 in Lincoln, MA.

more ingredients
You will also need some river rocks or pea gravel, horticultural charcoal or aquarium charcoal (to keep the smell out), soil and moss (here I have some irish moss).

plants

Don't forget the plants.  You can find tiny plants, succulents and topiaries at many garden stores.  You can also take your own clippings and try your hand at them.

gourds and pumpkins

My terrarium is going to start out with an Autumnal theme so I am using some mini-pumpkins to add some interest.  You can add little toys and statuary to make sweet vignettes.

Instructions:





Add your layers in this order.  First you want to line the bottom of your vessel with your pea gravel or rocks for drainage ( a good couple inches of pea gravel).  Next you want to layer charcoal over the rocks to filter the water.  You should use horticultural charcoal whenever you are planting anything that does not have drainage.  You can add your soil next - make sure you have enough so that you can plant your plants.  Pack it down so it is even and add more where necessary.  Next you can use your moss.  Some people use sphagnum moss under the soil to help with soil drift.  I did not - I used the irish moss on top of my soil to add some visual interest. Lastly, start planting!

my terrarium planted up

I've added my plants, succulents, pumpkins and moss.  Once you like the composition, you are good to go.  Give it a light watering or misting and then close your terrarium and enjoy nature's beauty!

My completed Terrarium

Case closed!  My terrarium is complete and you can see some condensation forming at the base of the container now that it is closed.  You will want to monitor your terrarium whether or not your container is open or closed.  Check to make sure the plants are thriving.  Have you over-watered or under-watered?  A light hand is best.  

You don't have to plant up live plants in your terrarium.  You can collect twigs and acorns on your Sunday Stroll and put them up in a glass jar.  Your beach memories can live on in an apothecary jar on a shelf in your office.  An exquisite mini orchid can live happily under a glass cloche on a cake stand.  Even a mini topiary takes on artwork-status when displayed under a dome.

My beach Terrarium

Display your summer vacation in a jar.  This is an apothecary jar that I bought at Ikea.  It is sitting on an antique clay pot that I am using for a base.

gourd terrarium

Sometimes simple is best.  Here, I've placed a tiny white pumpkin on a clay base and topped with a glass cloche.  It is simply lovely.

display

Display is the thing! Have fun showcasing your terrariums - they are truly pieces of art.

table top terrarium

My new terrarium on display at home ... I kind of love it and I hope you did too!  

I had a lot of fun shopping for my "ingredients" at Gerard's on Rt. 2 in Lincoln.  For those of you who haven't slowed down enough to jump off of Rt. 2 and explore his shop - you really should. There is more to it than meets the eye.  It is like a little piece of Europe (Belgium to be exact) fell from the sky and landed in the strange location of Rt. 2. What looks like a road side farm stand is actually a curiosity shop of the best kind.  Antique garden statuary, obligatory plants, topiaries, green house, pies, fruit stand, jams, jellies and chocolates! Inside you will find a carefully curated collection of European antiques and vintage finds.  I actually found one of my favorite purses there that receives more compliments than seems possible - considering I bought it at my roadside garden shop!

take a peek at a few pictures of Gerard's:

Gerard's (Panetta's was previous name)

Gorgeous Floral Creations

Seasonal Finds

Fruits, Jams and Pies

Shop for European Antiques Here!

Well, this was a long post but I hope you enjoyed.  Let me know if you make your own terrarium.  send me a picture and I'll post it to share.

See you next week,
Ellen


















2 comments:

  1. Ellen,
    I must confess that I am now hooked on your blogging, and have placed these wonderful inspirations at the TOP of my reading!
    LOVED the Autumn theme and recommendation of Gordan's. Looks like I'll be in your area visiting them this week! The terrariums are a GREAT venue for my antique decor business, especially with the holidays around the corner.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    TULA ANTIQUES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa! I can definitely see some beautiful terrariums on display at Tula Antiques - especially for the holidays. I owe you a visit soon - I need some more inspiration.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete