Tuesday, November 22, 2011

twinkle, twinkle ...

... little star (and heart)
I was inspired by an ornament that I spied in a BHG magazine posting a while back and thought I would put my own creative spin on an ornament or two.  I used some balsam wood hearts and stars and decoupaged them with pieces of vintage sheet music.  German glitter glass creates a warm and shimmery outline to the ornaments.  Lastly, each ornament is topped off with a vintage pearl button and a dangling chandelier crystal to catch the light of your Christmas tree.

Glitter Glass heart and star ornaments

I can't decide whether to hang them from the tree or tie them to packages as an added little something.

Nelley Kelley Ornaments

They look beautiful grouped together.  The German glitter glass is exceptionally shiny  and develops a lovely patina over time.  (unlike glitter which dulls, true glitter glass tarnishes and takes on a worn vintage look). 

ornament kits

I thought I would put together some ornament kits as hostess gifts this year.  It was fun to be out on the hunt for papers, buttons and crystals to add to my kits.  Everything you need to make an heirloom ornament is in the kit (except for the glue).  For those who don't like to make - I've got completed ornaments to give in it's place.  


Inside the tin

Half the fun for me is in the packaging ... 

All the goods you need ...

Inside are the ingredients needed to make a star and a heart ornament.  The only thing needed is glue to decoupage the paper on to the wooden cut-outs and for adhering the glitter glass to the sides.  They are ever so easy to make and look absolutely beautiful when they catch the light.  You could add beads or shimmery jewels instead of buttons or crystals and the shape is totally up to you.  These would make beautiful Valentine's gifts as well.

Letter bundle by E. McHale

With Thanksgiving days away, I'm working fast on this year's holiday card.  I've got a great family photo  from our trip to NYC this past weekend and the card is in the works.  Creating the annual Christmas card is one of my favorite holiday activities.  Wrapping gifts comes in at a close second. 

I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving,

see you soon,

Ellen







No comments:

Post a Comment