Friday, January 21, 2011

Alphabet Soup ...

Love Letters by Ellen McHale

The creative process is an interesting thing.  You start out making one thing and the next thing you know you are off in a million different directions.  I have been thinking about doing a series using letters or the alphabet as my inspiration. First, I needed to come up with my alphabet and see how the letters felt to me.

Paste paper alphabet by Ellen McHale
I cut my individual letters out of my paste paper supply.  As beautiful as the paste paper alone was - I really wanted to add a bit more oomph so I embellished the paste paper with my white pen for some added interest. 

Paste Paper Letters in Letter Tray

Once my paste paper alphabet was completed I let them sit for awhile on my desk in a tray.  I started to think about how and where I would use them.  Perhaps on a new piece of artwork or maybe they might make their way onto a new product.  It was time to come up with some samples or a prototype of sorts to see how they might look.  

Love Letters paper weight

With Valentine's Day just around the corner I came up with my Love Letters piece and thought that it would look lovely under a piece of french crystal.  A new paper weight was born - maybe just for me or maybe for someone I love.

W Monogram

E Monogram

I began to randomly place my E initial and my husband's W initial on some of my vintage letters to see how they might look. It got me thinking about some frames that I had found last year at Restoration Hardware. They have been sitting on a shelf without anything in them as of yet ...


W and E monogram on vintage map

I printed out our monograms on decal paper and smoothed them over some vintage maps that I shrunk down to size.  The monogram decal ended up looking like a watercolor wash an effect that I wasn't expecting but ended up loving ...


Monograms in Restoration Hardware frames

The frames alone were lovely and sculptural.  With the monogram on the vintage map the frames are now fantastic.  They will be going upstairs to decorate the top of our armoire in the bedroom.

Monogrammed Hand Towel

I've got monogram on my mind so why not a hand towel or a tea towel or some great linen napkins?  The wheels are really turning now ... 

Butcher Apron

I've been working on a prototype for a line of aprons for Nelley Kelley 2011.  This "alphabet" day has given me the motivational boost that I've been in search of.  I decide to take some of my flour sack fabric and finally commit to making my apron sample.  The E monogram is just what I need to dress it up until my Nelley Kelley fabric line comes in.  I love this apron - no bib - perfect length.  I'm excited and you will be too when you see some of the fabrics that it will come in ...

Nelley Kelley Fabric coming soon ...

Here is a little sneak peek of one of the Nelley Kelley fabrics coming this Spring.  Won't this look great on my butcher apron?  
So you've got a little glimpse into my erratic creative process.  One thing begets another but that is just the way I like it.  There is nothing like a snow day in New England to pull one out of a creative slumber.   
See you next week with some vintage finds that I'm sure you'll love ...

Ellen~













3 comments:

  1. Wow, you had an incredible afternoon. All I did is walk the dog, you are an inspiration!!
    xo
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all El! The fabric is fabulous (as are you!)
    I hear another storm is coming next week - I can't wait to see what you create on your next snowday!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being so supportive! It was a great afternoon - sometimes you just need something to get you moving in the right direction and for me it was being trapped inside by snow. One thing is for certain the wheels are turning!
    xo
    E.

    ReplyDelete