Friday, January 7, 2011

Reorganize, Redecorate, Repurpose

My reading pile for 2011
Happy New Year!  I most often celebrate the New Year by reorganizing our house and my studio.  It's the feeling of starting fresh with a sense of purpose that I'm seeking when I'm hauling out the tree and begging my husband to move just one more piece of furniture for me.  After the excess of the holidays, it is rather nice to have things more spare and pared down.  Removing the clutter frees you up to so much possibility and that is a great way to go into the new year  ...

Even the bookcases get reorganized!
I start by moving all my decorative objects into one room where I can assess what stays and what goes.  By moving your objects into one space, you get to see the objects in a different light and are more open to using in them in a unique way.  The fun for me is to shop in my own "store" and find forgotten things that can be repurposed.  In my bookcases, I've used vintage tins, pottery, small oil paintings and even glass bakery cloches to add dimension to my books.


Books that inspire hope
Books are used as decorative items throughout my home as well.  They look beautiful piled up on a side table or on the floor beside a favorite chair. Rotate your books seasonally - here I've put out books to inspire me throughout the cold winter.  It's fun to curl up with a cup of tea and dream of the garden in the Spring.


Our Living Room 
You would never believe that this picture was taken after 2 feet of snow fell outside.  The sun was streaming in and we just finished decluttering.  It looked like a breathe of fresh air.  It was time to move on to my studio - I have to admit that I was dreading tackling that area!  At least I know that I have a place to come for a respite.


String and Tape get a home
The same organizational philosophy holds true for even our most messy spaces.  Put it all in a pile in the middle and decide what stays and what goes.  Once you've pared down to the essentials then "shop" your stuff.  Remember to reuse, repurpose and recycle!  Here I've used a vintage menu holder to corral my everyday twines and tapes.


Bits and Bobs in Jars
Art and Craft supplies can overwhelm you very quickly.  You need to develop some storage solutions that keep them neat and organized but also keeps them visible so you are not buying the same items over and over. I have found that clear glass jars work best for my smallest items.  I have them in every shape and size and have them stacked on an old rack that I can wheel over to my work table when I'm ready to create.  


Even my desk gets the 2011 clean-up treatment
The last stop on my clean-up spree is my desk area.  It is usually covered with all my "to do" piles and is generally one big mess.  I don't like sitting there because it can be a claustrophobic nightmare.  So I apply my clean-up principles.  The desk is wiped clean and only things that are needed and make me happy go back on it.  I run to the hardware store to have a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the desk.  I line the desk with some beautiful vintage papers that I've been saving and then place the plexiglass on top. Voila - instantly my desk becomes a work of art in itself!  Some pretty bowls, a lovely paperweight, a vintage toast stand for my notebooks and cards and even one of my vintage glove molds add some character and joy to my work space.  Now this is looking like a space to get creative in ...


Inspiration Board
Now that clutter has been banished and I'm at peace again with my surroundings - I can begin to dream about what comes next.  Happy New Year to you all - I hope this inspires you to reorganize just a little space in your home or office.  I guarantee that it will open up a big space in your creative mind.

see you next week,
Ellen









5 comments:

  1. Wow, what energy is captured in this post! I'm INSPIRED - thank you! Can't wait to tackle my own clutter with your strategy. Looking forward to Nelley Kelley's 2011 creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Grace. Can't wait to see what you've been tackling - the chair will be beautiful for sure.
    ~Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ellen, I can't wait to get started on my own clutter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maureen
    Indeed I am - I love a challenge and love to play house and redecorate!
    ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete