Friday, January 14, 2011

Let there be light ...

Vintage Candlestick
We needed some more light in our bedroom now that the short days of winter have gobbled up the late afternoon sunlight.  In an effort to continue with my quest to "shop" at home for things I need - my gaze landed upon a vintage candlestick that I've had in our home for the past 10 years or so.  I really don't use it for candles instead, I love it for it's chippy paint and it's curvy lines.  It looked like the perfect base for my bedroom lamp ... so a new home project was born just in time for the big snow storm.

Candlestick now wired as lamp

I brought my candlestick down to my local hardware store to see if this candlestick could easily be converted to a lamp.  Here in Concord, I am so lucky to be able to bounce ideas off of Scott Vanderhoof of Vanderhoof's Hardware Store.  His store has been a mainstay in historic Concord for 100 years and is still owned by the same family.  I got to know Scott when he was kind enough to talk me through cutting some antique tins that I had found and wanted to use for some of my artwork.  Since then, I pop into the store from time to time to discuss some of the projects that I'm working on and Scott helps steer me in the right direction in terms of supplies needed.  Today was all about lamps and Scott was more than willing to help me create a lamp out of my vintage candlestick.  You can buy lamp conversion kits in your local hardware store or lamp store if you want to tackle this project on your own.  

Scott Vanderhoof of Vanderhoof's Hardware Store

This is Scott holding a vintage tin that I gave him to say thank you for all of his help.  It depicts his ancestors - in front of Vanderhoof's Hardware Store circa 1900. 

My new lamp!

The fun part was finding the perfect shade for my brand new lamp.  I settled on a cream colored burlap drum shade from Pottery Barn.  It had the right mix of vintage and modern that I was looking for. I can't wait to put it in the bedroom.

My one-of-a-kind bedroom lamp!

I just love the look of my new lamp.  It makes great use of something that I had hanging around my home and now it is no longer just decorative but utilitarian to boot!  It makes this little corner of the bedroom warm, inviting and finished!  

If you are looking for a quick project like mine ... look around your home and try to see your objects in a different "light".  Perhaps you have something there that you love that could be put to good use in a different way.  Tables, benches, trays, candlesticks and baskets can easily transform themselves into beautiful and unique bars, lamps, bookshelves and seats if you only know how to look at them differently.

see you next week,
Ellen~





3 comments:

  1. I love your new lamp! What a great reinvention. You are a clever woman, Nelley Kelley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! It is beautiful and one of a kind - just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Grace and Linda - I'm glad you like it! Next week I will be sharing some information about my new discovery ... a place to go when Brimfield seems so far away.

    until then ~
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete